Friday, May 23, 2008

Darth Vader is Bob Dylan

So I saw the film La Dolce Vita by Fellini a little while ago, and it was good, and as my Netflix note indicated it featured an extended cameo by Nico of Velvet Underground fame.  Her voice always cracks me up. The next movie I had to watch was Factory Girl, by George Hickenlooper, which is about Warhol superstar Edie Sedgewick, and features someone portraying Nico.  Her imitation of Nico's voice cracked me up, too.  It also features Hayden Christinasen as who is ostensibly supposed to be Bob Dylan.  Yeah.  Darth Vader is Dylan.  Anywho, the next movie I have to watch is I'm Not There where several different people portray Dylan.  I've avoided watching it because I do not wish the hyperreality of this peculiar cinematic situation to end just yet.  Furthermore, I understand that someone in that film portrays a character that is supposed to be Edie Sedgewick, but, like Christiansen's Dylan, has a different name.  So I waited.

I sit down at my computer to read a scanned copy of one of the later issues of classic 80's out of print comic Miracleman.  I'm still reeling over Alan Moore's original issues (better than Watchmen) and sit down to read one of the Neil Gaiman-penned stories, and who is one of the main characters of this particular issue?  Andy-fucking-Warhol.  No shit.  It won't end.  I went from seeing Nico playing someone named Nico in a movie, to seeing someone play her in a movie with someone playing Warhol, and Dylan, and Sedgewick to holding off watching someone else playing Sedgewick and 7 other people playing Dylan, only to have Warhol show up in a comic book I'm reading instead.

What does it all mean?

No comments: