Friday, April 25, 2008

Save the Taco Truck

So the man is trying to shut down the taco trucks in LA.  The one behind my building makes the deadliest breakfast burrito in the galaxy.  There ain't a thing about it that's Mexican except the tortilla.  I have seen the dude unwrap a Kraft American single and put it in the thing.  It's delicious.  But more than one a week is a death wish.  But what a way to go.  But this post is only partially about the Great Taco Truck Skirmish of '08.  Its about Gary Panter.  I just got his new two-volume slipcased monograph (published by the fantastic Picturebox, Inc) in the mail today.  I had to go to teach soon afterwards so I only got to glimpse it.  Much like taco trucks, I identify Panter's work with Los Angeles, him being part of Slash magazine and knowing PKD, his Paul Rubens connection, and try not to look at Jimbo: Adventures Paradise and tell me that's not LA.  I have a particular affinity with him being from Texas, like me.  I've met the man a few times, and can do a decent impression of him.  He sounds Californian.  He lives and works in Brooklyn, now.  I'm sure I'll have more to gush about him once I have some Glenlivet and give the new monograph a once over, but for now, I just wanted to give a 'fuckin' a' to taco trucks and Panter.

No comments: